7.20.2011

four books



*preface:  these aren't the best books ever or the books that changed my life forever.  i, once again, am omitting the word 'favorite' from my brain.  this is simply a list of books i like.  a lot.

1)  my friends by taro gami
when ben was younger, we would read this book to him every night before bed.  is is so sweet and explains the different things you learn from your friends.  he has since out-grown this book, but i will never.

2)  dress yourself in corduroy and denim or me talk pretty one day by david sedaris
i can't remember which book i read first, but i do know as soon as i read one, chris and i quickly devoured his entire catalogue.  it is so funny, you will read parts of it out loud to whomever is in the room.

excerpt: "On my fifth trip to France I limited myself to the words and phrases that people actually use. From the dog owners I learned "Lie down," "Shut up," and "Who shit on this carpet?" The couple across the road taught me to ask questions correctly, and the grocer taught me to count. Things began to come together, and I went from speaking like an evil baby to speaking like a hillbilly. "Is thems the thoughts of cows?" I'd ask the butcher, pointing to the calves' brains displayed in the front window. "I want me some lamb chop with handles on 'em." 

3)  glass castle by jeanette wells
i am a sucker for a good memoir.  especially ones where the protagonist goes through hell and back, then lives to tell about it.  this book is about family, love, neglect, poverty, and overcoming the odds.  a must-read, in my opinion.

4)  garlic and sapphires: the secret life of a critic in disguise by ruth reichl
this memoir about a nyc food critic who dresses in disguise to conceal her identity is a foodie's dream.  all of her books are, for that matter.  bonus feature: recipes.  i found my go-to spaghetti carbonara recipe in the book.  delish!

your turn.

1 comment:

  1. oh! i have Glass Castle at my house. i have been very excited to read it.. it'll be next! I gotta read that foodie book, YUM!

    ReplyDelete